Thursday, March 22, 2012

Another Year, Another Try

"If At First We Don't Succeed..."

I went to Home Despot this afternoon, and picked up some stuff. PVC pipes, L and T joints, 4 narrow growbeds, a half-barrel (made from plastic, moulded to look like an oak barrel), seeds, and some assorted bits and pieces. I have a pump, timer, and extension cords on order (and en route). When the pump arrives, I'll be picking up the tubing.

I'm going to go ahead and use the bubbler I picked up for the first attempt, since I'm going to have the water doing a flood-and-drain cycle every hour. I just realised I forgot to pick up the folding table that was on the Home Despot website (for $40, and is supposed to support some 460 pounds). I was reminded that I forgot hardware cloth (to keep vermin out of the fish barrel), and I need gravel for the grow beds. I might just use the gravel we have in the back yard, after cycling the set up for a week.

On a side note, the 2 fish that survived last year's attempt? They're thriving in a plain ol' 10 gallon tank. They're big and beautiful, and if I were to try and purchase another fish their size, I'd probably pay at least $15 for it. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, after I get the rest of the gear and start assembling. They're very beautiful fish. I wonder what I'll stock the outside barrel with?

Anyways, this year, I hope to not screw up as spectacularly as I did last year. However, I did get a single tomato from last year's seeds, this year - from a plant that grew from the seeds I had strewn in the back yard, by the garage. Stealth tomato plant, growing under the cala lillies! It was a damned tasty fruit, too. There are 2 green tomatoes on that plant, currently. I hope the squirrels and resident possum don't find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment